Monday, February 4, 2013

On goal setting...

A month ago when I started this, I had all these lofty aspirations. I'm not saying I don't still have those but I am beginning to ponder what my friend A.P. said to me. She has been on this journey to wellness for a while and is amazing. She told me that I will learn how to set my goals. So now, as I start the fifth week that is my focus. Yes I have scale goals and inches goals and dress size goals. Come on, I'm a woman and that's what we do because that's what society tells us to do. But, I'm setting goals I know that if I push I can achieve. These are goals that 4 weeks ago would have seemed impossible. So my goal this week is to step it up on the running. I can kill it on the elliptical but when it comes to jogging/running on a treadmill that is a yah not so much for me. I can't decide if I have a physical or mental block there but that is my new drive. I don't necessarily want to run on a treadmill but I want to be able to jog and sprint in our Monday and Friday bootcamps. Right now I walk/speed walk and occasionally run when required by an exercise. So that is the mindset I started with today. Now on the warm ups I didn't jog. I stuck to speed walking. However today we did Tabata.

A quick description of Tabata the way we did it...20 seconds of a hard exercise (ie: push ups, tricep dips, repeater knees etc) then 10 seconds to sprint to the other side of the field and do another exercise for 20 seconds. Do this 4 times and that's a set.

So in my head, I said ok time to run. It's a short distance and I can do anything for 10 seconds right? I'm proud to say that aside from one set where I backed off not because of running but because of the exercises, I did in fact do the sprinting back and forth.

Now in between when we did walking/jogging/running back and forth for a couple minutes I again backed off. But, I will get there. And in the last run across the field at the end of the session....I ran faster than I ever have in this group...or in decades for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment