Thursday, February 7, 2013

While I wait...

So I sit here, thinking about how much I would like to go for a walk or be on an elliptical or swimming laps. But right now, it takes everything I have to walk to the front door. I just keep focusing on sleeping, resting and hydrating and hoping that this passes quickly. I suppose now is as good of a time as any to talk about food. Other than my saltine heavy diet for the last couple days I should say I have become acutely aware of the sustenance I put in my body. Before when I would count calories, I worried about the numbers. Staying below a certain number. It didn't matter what I ate to make up that number. There are a lot of programs out there that have been successful for people that stick to that concept. Eat what you want just keep to a number.

This project has changed that in my mind. While yes there is a number I stick to and do not exceed, I consider what comprises that number. Where the easy 100 calorie snack packs could keep me under the number, the energy they provide isn't worth their cost. I'm learning to understand my need for protein and complex-carbs and the ratios of my diet they should be. Snacks are no longer simply a grab and go, but a well planned and timed thing. I eat breakfast at 8am, snack at 10am, lunch at noon, snack at 3 and again at 4 then a small dinner either just before or after the evening workout depending on the evening. The snack at 3 and 4 are really just one long snack planned out to include a fruit and a protein in preparation for a 5:30 workout. On days when I have class at 6:30 I eat dinner first and it usually a piece of fish and a veggie.

Another big change...I'm eating whole foods. That isn't to say organic. Though I love organic fruits and veggies, sometimes I go with the cheaper option. Whole is a food that comes as is that hasn't been processed or treated with additives/preservatives.Fruit, veggies, lean proteins (fish or chicken or turkey). Long and the short, whole does not mean one of those 100 calorie snack packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment