Tuesday, March 5, 2013

God aren't you hungry?

I get the question about my 'Hunger' level whenever someone asks me about this project. When I say that I eat 1,200 calories per day they get a look on their face like 'How can I tell her she is insane?' So I thought about this as I sat down to my lunch and a little Hulu. (Note: Because I am so busy with this pretty much all my TV watching is on Hulu). My lunch today:
1. Turkey Sausage and Peppers with Black Beans @ 290 calories (I made this up with low fat low sodium turkey sausage, bell peppers, black beans, rotel diced tomatos and peppers and an onion along with a random mix of seasoning in the crock pot. It was a risk and it was worth it)
2. Baby Carrots with 2 tbsps of Original Hummus (I never finish all 2 tbsp which is a change now that I think about what I eat)
3. Blueberries and Strawberries. I can't wait til Spring and Summer when fruits and veggies are even more flavorful
4. Sugar Free Jello-O Pudding (Dark Chocolate) because sometimes a girl needs it.

I ate slowly and enjoyed all of it. I thought about it while I ate it. I front load my meals with Breakfast and Lunch being the bulk of my calories with an afternoon snack of another piece of fruit or veggie and Sargento low cal string cheese. Dinner is light. A piece of fish or chicken with a veggie.

Honestly, with the introduction of more whole foods and substantial foods I am never hungry. And when I am, because I plan, I have a healthy snack ready to go.

One more thing....I hate when people on 'diets' complain of "hunger." Because of work with a group I love I have learned a lot about what real hunger is. Did you know that most recent stats say that 1 in 4 kids in Missouri and 1 in 5 kids in Kansas live in food insecurity? That means they don't know where/when/or if their next meal is coming. And when it does, it is often not nearly as nutritious as my breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. So when you think you are hungry, think about what you are eating. Think about if you are truly hungry or you are eating out of boredom. Just really think about it before you say you are 'hungry' or god forbid 'starving.'

No comments:

Post a Comment