Saturday, March 16, 2013

What it feels like...

I've had people ask what the classes are like. I can describe them in the technical sense. The types of moves that you do, the music that is played the setup of the room. I can explain the equipment and how we use it. But that is just the technical part of what the classes. What I'd rather put into words is how it feels.

In the beginning there is anticipation. The thoughts about what could be asked of you based on the equipment you had to grab. With gliders I think of my legs and arms on fire, the big ball means my hips and thighs are gonna hurt. The bands point to any number of arm and back muscle involvement. Weights...1 lb means lots of cardio (but these are never listed you grab them as needed if you need to step down from the 2lb). 2 lb is cardo and strength and 3lb well yah if you grab those then kuddos to you.

The first couple minutes your heart goes from a semi-rest to full blown zone. You are breathing heavier but your muscles feel good so it's no worries. By 10 to 15 minutes your arms are starting to really feel it...When I hit the 30 minute mark I think of a countdown. Which I should mention, I don't watch the clock in the room. I wear a watch that monitors heart rate and calories and generally keep it on heart rate but I do peek to see how much time left. When there are 10 minutes left I am yawning...not from boredom but from sheer exhaustion. And then, just like that the music slows and the lights go off and you've made it. A sheer elation runs through me as we start stretching. It is joy from knowing what I did, from knowing that it's over. It's happiness and pride in knowing that I am doing much better than the previous class, week, month...which means next time I will even do better.

I can't describe the emotions you have or if you have them. It is very personal. But for me the emotional and mental feelings I get are far more important than the pain I feel and the physical exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment