Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Curt Schilling moment...

There is a big difference from waking up at 4:45 vs. 5:00. Or so it seems. Sit up in bed..ow...feet on the floor...ow...walk to the bathroom ow ow ow...

I stood at my bed and stared at my clothes then looked at the clock...5:10...I stared some more...5:20...if I just wait I don't have to go. But, I DO have to go.

This morning was my first morning at my Community Center Gym. I have a gym but it is way far south by my office so I picked up a 6 month membership here so I can sleep an extra 15 minutes on individual workout days.

First up, my mile time. We were all responsible for timing ourselves on our mile. Use this as my warm up and well I was rather disappointed in myself, til I remembered that I did it, its over...one more thing to check off the list. Next up, the first of the take home workouts. I did the adjusted one for the elliptical. I know my body and it is not ready to do this on the treadmill.

1 minute at 40 RPM at 1% incline
1 minute at 45 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 50 RPM at 1% incline
1 minute at 55 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 60 RPM at 1% incline
1 minute at 40 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 50 RPM at 1% incline
1 minute at 60 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 40 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 50 RPM at 1% incline
1 minute at 60 RPM at 1% incline

1 minute at 40 RPM at 1% incline
Repeat a couple more times then keep going til you hit 500 calories...
Then 30 seconds bicycle 30 seconds planking (I'll admit I skipped this part this morning because not only was I running late but I literally couldn't stand).

At minute 18 I was dying, by 20 I was ready to say screw it...then it became a matter of endurance. Not physical, but mental.

In 2004 Curt Schilling hurt his ankle in Game 1 of the ALCS vs. the Yankees. He was slated to pitch Game 6 but everyone knew his tendon was messed up. He had a surgery to connect tissue then went out and pitched an AMAZING game against the Yankees. Kept my Red Sox in it for Game 7 which they won and went on to sweep the Cardinals and finally break the curse. Not many remember the World Series because it was a sweep. But everyone remembers game 6 of the ALCS and his bloody sock. Because it kept getting worse and he kept pitching.The mental toughness that it took for him to ignore the pain.

I'm not saying that I have his mental toughness (yet) nor do I believe that my pain was worse...far from it. But, when I got home after my workout and finally took off my shoes, it seems I had a cut on my ankle and my own bloody sock.





1 comment:

  1. really like the theme of this post. super proud of you and continuing to send positive vibes your way. love you.

    ~b

    ReplyDelete